Our StoryA Short History of North Coast Calvary Chapel
NOTE: Under construction – we’re updating this page – check back later for completed contents. If you have an interesting NCCC story / pictures – email us! Thank you!
• North Coast Calvary Chapel was born in the late summer of 1976. A congregation of approximately 35 people under the pastorate of Ed Smith, met in Central School on Sunday morning, September 26, in Leucadia, CA.
• In November, the young church moved to the North Coast Family YMCA on Saxony Street, Encinitas.
• With growth of the church causing overflow conditions at the “Y”, a move was necessitated. Four storefronts were leased in Vulcan Square. The move took place in the summer of 1982.
• In 1988, with an active membership of approximately 900, a decision was made to plant two churches – one in Del Mar and the other in Carlsbad. Each was sent out with great fanfare!
• At the same time, a lease was signed for additional space in Vulcan Square.
• In February of 1992, Vulcan Square was purchased by the City of Encinitas for it’s City Hall and the church began holding services at San Dieguito High School.
• In November of 1992, the church moved to Poinsettia Village Shopping Center, Carlsbad, purchasing a building for the first time.
• In January of 1993, Mark Foreman became the Lead Pastor.
• In 1993 a new era began. The church moved into a new facility with a new pastor, but most importantly, a new response to God’s Spirit.
• North Coast Calvary Chapel began as a fresh and innocent work of God reaching out to the unchurched people of the North County coastal area. Since those early days, thousands of people have come to Christ, many churches have started, and several missionaries have been sent out.
• With a desire to be open and upright in all that we do, the church has moved towards establishing accountability and support, budgets and policies, and purpose and direction. The latter is not to undo the former. Our trust is still in the Holy Spirit who is building His church.
• God continues to bless this church with His good hand upon her.
1976, September 26 First meeting in the Central School Cafeteria (now Paul Ecke Central School) in Leucadia 35+ people attended and Ed Smith was the pastor
1976, November Moved Church into the Encinitas YMCA
1976 Nancy Powers first church secretary (76- ?)
1976, October Tony Enriquez starts Children’s Ministry (76-80)
1977, Church Family Camps started (77-89?)
1980, September Orville Stanton hired as Assistant Pastor/Children’s Ministry (80-97)
1980, September Bear Trillizio hired as Youth Pastor
1980?, Chris Jansson hired as Worship Leader
1981-82?, House of Restoration Started (81-83)
1980?, October, First Harvest Party
1981 Moved Church to Vulcan Square, Encinitas
1988, May Church plant: Calvary Chapel Coastland – Bill Richard, Pastor (1988-2000)
1988, May Church plant: Calvary Chapel Crossroads John Haywood, Pastor (now _________)
1991, September Mark Foreman hired as Associate Pastor
1992, “Church on the Move” – Moved to San Dieguito High School (Now San Dieguito Academy) Campus
1992, November Purchased our first building in Poinsettia Village Shopping Center, Carlsbad
1993, December Mark Foreman became Lead Pastor
1997, June Debbie Walton hired for Children’s Ministry (1997-2007)
2004, July Church does “Extreme Make Over: Home Addition” for the Wofford Family
Date, Broke ground on our new Poinsettia Lane, Carlsbad Campus
2007, August Jason Poznaks hired as Children’s Ministry Pastor
2007, August Debbie Walton starts NCCC’s Ministry through Sport (name changed in 2014 to Whole Life Sports)
2007, August Jung Park hired as Art & Media Director/Webmaster.
2008, July 5 Moved to our new building at 1330 Poinsettia Lane, Carlsbad, CA
2008, August Coast Kids Preschool opens at NCCC, with Alisa Wickham as Director
2012, May Bear Trillizio went home to the Lord. (Keep his family in your prayers).
2014, January Nic Gilmour hired as Missions & Without Walls (Local Communities) Outreach Pastor.
2014, April Let’s Go! Building our Vision: We are gearing up to break ground on the Chapel this Spring! We are thrilled to begin making this vision a reality. Take a moment to watch this www.northcoastcalvary.org/chapel.
2014, May 3 & 4 Groundbreaking & Prayer for the Chapel Project
2014, May 5 Chapel Construction Starts Today!!